Explore With Us!
Learn and Explore trips are opportunities for Wayfinding Academy students and close supporters to engage in a multi-day experience. Each trip will include learning components and a chance for participants to stretch.
Learn and Explore trips take place during the three months that our students are on break from classes -- April, August, and December. We also offer mini Learn and Explore trips that take place throughout the year.
For our full scale Learn and Explore trips, Wayfinding Academy students, crew, faculty, board members, and Luminaries have the first opportunity to sign up. Then, if there is still additional space, the trip may be opened up to the general community. For our mini trips, sign ups are first come, first served!
Our students, crew, faculty, board members, and Luminaries are an engaged group and excited about these trips. Our first trip full scale trip to walk the Camino de Santiago sold out quickly and before we opened it to the public. Therefore, if you want to make sure you don't miss the chance to join us on one of these trips of a lifetime, click below to become a Luminary now!
Below are the trips we currently have available. Our next full scale trip, happening August 2017, will be announced by the end of May 2017!
Closed and Past Trips:
Camino de Santiago: April 2017
Spain - Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage via either the Via de la Plata route OR the Camino Portuguese
Monday, April 10th - Wednesday, April 26th, 2017
What will we be doing?
The Camino de Santiago in an ancient traditional Catholic pilgrimage to the burial site of St. James in the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. There are multiple routes from nearby countries that all lead to the same destination with the Camino Frances being the most commonly traveled one. In present days, most pilgrims travel for personal or spiritual reasons, not for religious reasons and while the route passes by many churches, it is mostly a secular experience. Each year thousands of pilgrims walk (or bike or ride horses) one of the paths and as they travel, they stay in pilgrim’s hostels called albergues and share meals and conversation with their fellow pilgrims. To walk one of the paths in full takes about 40 days. On this trip two groups will set out along two different paths, and will meet at Santiago de Compostela.
Option one: Via de la Plata Route
A well marked, beautiful, peaceful, and solitary route walked by about 3.5% of pilgrims. It provides an almost continual reminder of the multi-century presence of the Romans on the Iberian Peninsula through Romanesque churches, cathedrals, art, and architecture along the way. We will start in the UNESCO-listed city of Zamora before entering the green and remote mountains of Galicia, and will pass thermal springs, peaceful forests, charming hamlets, and lush rolling hills with outstanding views on the way to Santiago de Compostela.
Option two: Camino Portugués Route
On the Camino Portugués, we’ll have the unique opportunity to experience two different countries and cultures. Starting out in Coimbra, Portugal, we will walk north towards Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Walking through the beautiful and varying landscapes of Portugal and Spain on ancient tracks and cobblestones, along the coast and on the beach, though pretty woodlands, lush farmlands, interesting villages and historical cities. The Camino Portugués the second most popular of the Camino routes but still has only 14% of the total pilgrims, which will give us the opportunity to experience the special community aspect of the Camino without feeling overcrowded.
On both trips our accommodations will be albergues along the way and we will begin and end each day together with our group, but each person will be able to walk at their own pace.
- April 10th - Arrive in Zamora or Coimbra, meet the rest of the participants, and prepare to start walking
- April 11th - April 25th - Walk the Via de la Plata from Zamora or the Camino Portugués from Coimbra to Santiago de Compostela.
- April 25th and 26th - Stay in Santiago de Compostela to learn about the history of the city, the pilgrimage, and attend the pilgrim's mass at the cathedral where St. James is buried and learn about customs and traditions built into that ceremony.
- April 26th or 27th - Depart Santiago for your next travel destination or home
No prior experience is necessary to join this trip. However, participants should be prepared to walk between 15-20 miles a day generally on a paved or dirt road carrying a 15-20 lb. backpack.
How many people will be on the trip?
There is a cap of ten people (nine plus a trip leader) on each trip. Registration is first come, first served.
What does it cost?
- Maximum cost: $775/person plus airfare
- Costs may decrease slightly depending on number of sign ups
- What's included?
- Housing for seventeen nights (nights of April 10th - April 26th)
- Meals while walking (for 15 days - April 11th - 25th) plus 5-6 additional meals at your starting city and in Santiago
- Logistical planning
- What's not included?
- Airfare to and from Spain
- Transportation from Madrid to your starting location (approx. $20-$40) and from Santiago to your next destination (from Santiago to Madrid is about $30-$80)
- Travel insurance which you may already have through your credit card company or other policy. If not, we highly recommend it.
- Spending money for the trip. We recommend $40-$50.
- Personal gear including a pair of sturdy hiking shoes/trail running shoes, a sleeping bag/sheet & blanket, and a hiking backpack.
How do I sign up?
Registration is first come, first served. Once the spots are filled the trip will close. If you're ready to join us follow the instructions below. If you have more questions, feel free to each out to Tina Hart, Director of Campus Activities, at email@example.com.
If you know you'd like to join us, click below to register for this trip. A deposit of $100 is due to hold your spot. Registration for this trip will close February 10th. Full payment will be due by February 20th. Please note, your deposit will be applied to your final trip cost. Deposits are NOT refundable as they hold your place.